Roads Of Chaco Canyon

Roads Chaco Canyon 66990514305171652204.jpg The heart of Chaco Canyon depends on the intermittent "Chaco Wash," which runs east - southeast to west - northwest along the San Juan River and after that north to south through the canyon. The north side of the canyon includes towering sandstone cliffs topped by broad, slippery balconies. The south side is less dramatic, however the scale of the Chaco world is even higher, stretching as far as the San Juan River and the Rio Grande Valley. Big homes lie on the north and south sides as well as on the east and west sides. The 2,500-square-kilometer study location lies between the San Juan River and the Rio Grande Valley in the southern part of the Chaco Canyon region.

Short History Of Chaco Canyon, New Mexico

Short History Chaco Canyon, New Mexico 07631049226719802.jpg Together, these historical and natural features develop a cultural landscape that links the Pueblo and Navajo with the Chaco Canyon. To this day, it and the surrounding area are a spiritual location for the people of the southwest. The park was founded in 1907 as the Chacao Canyon National Monolith and relabelled in 1980. The park was stated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987 and a National Historic Landmark in 1999. The park covers an area of 1. 5 million square miles (3. 2 million acres) consisting of the Chaco Canyon, the canyon cut by the "Chaco Gallo" wave, and the Pueblo and Navajo Reserves. The name is most likely stemmed from the Spanish word chaca, which could be a translation of the Navajo word for "canyon. " The interpretive Una Vida Path is located at the southern end of Chaco Canyon in the Pueblo and Navajo Reserves of New Mexico. This steep, short path results in a range of rock art and petroglyphs. Follow the course that leads up to the sandstone cliffs and after that down the side of a steep rock face into the canyon. From this point of view, there is a fantastic chance to go to the ruins of Una Vida, and there are 150 rooms and several kivas that have been decorated here. Building and construction on the website began in 800 AD, and over the following 250 years many building and construction projects were performed to house the growing community. Pueblo Bonito was integrated in stages from 850 A.D. to 1150 A.D., rising four or 5 floors and most likely accommodating more than 1,200 individuals. The center of the ancient world, Pueblo Bonito, is a need to see for visitors, however the piece de resistance of the park are the fascinating sandstone houses.